Pattern Evolution

With the amount of pattern research I’ve been doing lately, I have been pretty antsy to try some of my own.  I decided that the best way to go about it would be to create a framework with a rough idea of the shapes and patterns that I wanted to use, and then build off of that by looking for patterns in the negative spaces that I may not have picked up on otherwise.  I ended up loving this project because it is really experimental and there are no expectations. This may be a project that I continue down the road by making a Pattern Evolution Series. It’s a great way for me to shake things up when I’m feeling uninspired otherwise.

 

Here is the comparison between my framework and final pattern.  I went into creating the framework wanting some sort of imperfect chevron shapes, which is funny because I ended with more of a perfect grid pattern.

The whole time I was working on this I was thinking about how much it reminded me of these puzzles I used to play with when I was a kid. There were a bunch of tiles set into a frame that you could slide up, down, left and right, but you couldn’t remove them from the frame in order to achieve the final puzzle image.  Very frustrating if you’re not getting the pieces right after lots of tries, but if you keep moving things around it will eventually come together even if by accident.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s